Primary Chalkboard: Teaching Character Analysis Using Picture Books

Teaching Character Analysis Using Picture Books

Hi everyone! It's Sarah from Sarah's First Grade Snippets. Today I wanted to share a (not so little) snippet about teaching character analysis. 


For our younger kids, I focus on describing a character and then finding evidence to support  our reasoning. I also talk about the character's feelings, how a character's feelings or traits affect the events in the book, and character changes. 

I put together a list of some books I've been reading lately that lend themselves to a character analysis lesson. The first set is fall-themed and the second set are for any ol' time. 


For each book, I showed an example of an anchor chart that you could make on chart paper to support student learning. 



























You can use these task cards with these books (or any other books) when you are teaching character analysis. These are just a few questions I find myself asking my students to get them thinking about characters.  





Since fall doesn't last forever, I made a short list of books that would work at any point in the school year. Head on over to my blog to read MORE...




http://snippetsbysarah.blogspot.com/2014/10/teaching-character-analysis-in-primary.html
  










8 comments:

  1. Love all these wonderful ideas and amazing resources!! Thank you so much Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for Corinna! You are so welcome! I hope you can use some of these ideas. :)

      Delete
  2. What an amazingly thorough and helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alyssha! I'm so glad you liked it! :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE THIS! Thank you so much for sharing and for the fabulous book ideas, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Will definitely be adding these to my plans!

    Brandi
    Swinging for Success
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you can use some of these ideas. :)

      Delete